Saturday 14 January 2012

cock-a-doodle

I`ve had so much fun this week, playing with this cock (a doodle do)........lol

The first picture is done on A3 size cartridge paper, using charcoal sticks. It was a very quick sketch done with-in 5 minutes.
At the time I sketched it, I wasn`t very happy with it, but  I enjoyed the process of sketching it soooo much. I left it sitting at my drawing board, then left the room.
When I came back into the room, and it caught my eye, I was very surprised to find that I actually loved it.
It`s not the best, or most acurate drawing I`ve ever done, but I like the movement, and the look of anger and the feeling I get from looking at this picture.
I went on to paint the same cockeral again, this time in watercolour, in my new moleskin A4 sketch book, that my husband bought me for Christmas. Although I enjoyed painting it, I really struggled to get used to the moleskin paper.
I`m used to using Arches, rough watercolour paper.
 The moleskin was VERY smooth in comparison, and also the paint seemed to dry instantly on the moleskin, where-as it sits on the surface of the Arches long enough for me to be able to blend my colours, and washes and move the paint about. Therefore, I had a lot of trial and error painting the following picture.

(The colours are brighter on the actual painting, than they are in this photograph.)

In the future I will stick to my Arches Rough for studio work, and save my moleskin book, for outdoor work, were I need the quicker drying times.

No comments:

Post a Comment